Sunday, November 29, 2020

Filigree Sprigs

 So some weeks ago I announced my new StencilGirl Stencils...guess what? They are on sale! 


Today I'm sharing my Filigree Sprigs stencil tutorial with you. It's a small fun book to make with a great theme. Enjoy! 


Filigree Sprigs


I’m always looking for seedling and sprig shapes to include in my paintings and journal. I love the upward growth of plants in my garden. I constantly draw and paint succulents and other plants  with pencils and paint.  I designed these shapes based on seed pods and new growth on succulents. They can also represent ocean plants and seedlings. 

Now you have a great resource to use to explore and grow!


Filigree Sprigs Sea Book



Step 1. Start out with a decorative paper or make your own. 

I used Masa Paper, crumpled up and painted. 



Step 2. Stencil the decorative paper with Filigree Sprigs stencil. 


Tear the sheet into sections to create book pages. Double the width to fold in half after stenciling.

Step 3. I use Golden open acrylics on my stencils whenever possible. It’s easier to clean and I have a longer work time. Stencil the designs on top of the decorative paper, rotating the designs. I also flipped the stencil for reverse images. 




Step 4.  After folding the pages in half, select a couple of sheets of vellum. Cut to size and fold in half. 

Step. 5. Trace some of the filigree shapes onto the vellum with pencil. Use color pencils to fill in the shapes. Accent the outlines with a permanent ink pen. 


Step 6. Stack the pages one on top of the other while open. Poke 3 holes equal distant from each other at the fold through all the pages. 

Step 7. Thread a binding needle with thread. Use the illustration for your guide for sewing. Embellish with beads or buttons. 


No comments: