Wednesday, April 27, 2016

"I am the snow", said the bunny

Blue Twig Studio in Colorado Springs was a wonderful place to teach. I flew back home last week to our boring non weather in North San Diego, CA. Just saying...I was born and raised out here so any weather is exciting to me! We had snow almost every day while I was there and hiked with a friend in an awesome place called Garden of the gods while it was lightly snowing...what a thrill!
Anyway....here's a little tutorial for you from one of the workshops....enjoy!


I started out with a drawing in pencil, then outlined the branch with a water soluble Tombow pen. Next I added water the the edge of the Tombow pen lines to spread out the ink. Then I added watercolor using a dropped in watercolor technique.
 The paper is Masa paper which was adhered to a canvas. 

I was inspired by a bunny I saw on our hike through Garden of the gods. 




I added more watercolor glazes and started to outline some shapes with a waterproof pen. The stamp images that I made were stamped with Staz-on inks onto thin rice paper. 
I glued the stamped rice paper images on with gloss medium. 


The edges were painted with two acrylic colors for a interference look. 
The painting was sealed and varnished with this process. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We loved having you here to teach. And it was so enjoyable to see your excitement over our snow, since most of us were plenty tired of it after our winter.