Sunday, April 20, 2008

Asilomar Art and Soul




Heaven on earth.... that is how I describe Asilomar http://www.visitasilomar.com/ in California. It's located on the Monterey Bay Coast with a front yard of brilliant white sand dunes, verbena and poppy flowers, deer, and the pounding surf. My friend Beth and I attended Art and Soul- an artist's retreat. http://www.artandsoulretreat.com/

Needless to say we had a great time- I took workshops with Daniel Essig, Sally Jean Alexander and Tom Ashman in Book Arts and Soldering.

I discovered that torching to patina copper is fun and soldering.....well.........it takes a little practice.

3 comments:

One Crabapple said...

oh my gosh ! we had the same class together - but your soldering looks much better than mine !

I sat with some girls that had the Dan Essig class and I just loved them and I had not known who Dan was - now I am crazy to try book making. Maybe you are in their book club as I see you are in California and they were all from up and down the Cali coast ! (???)

Your Thomas Ashman book came out wonderful too !

Are you still tired ? I AM ! but I miss the air and the trees !

xo-S.
ps. How I found you was that I had just posted about the trip and decided to google the retreat to see if I could find anyone else that posted about it. HOW FUNNY to find someone I had had the same class with ! ( I sat in the very back corner and I didnt' finish either !)

Helen said...

I can't believe this- you sat next to me!! I remember your cool images and the fact that you came from Burbank - not a valley girl!
I'm not in the book club you mentioned but I teach book arts at Oceanside Museum of Art where I'm currently the director of OMA School of Art. www.oma-online.org

Daniel Essig is one of the most talented book artists in the contemporary art world- his sculptural books are beautiful.I was so thrilled to be in his workshop.

What a small blog world!

I'm tired too and yes! I miss the cool air, wind and the dunes.

Unknown said...

Helen,
Your books are amazing. I especially loved the necklace book and can't wait to see it dangling from your neck- it's a real original. The other book that you made with Dan was also captivating. I'm going to sign up for your bookmaking class just to learn to duplicate this structure.
M-